The life, times and memories of Berkeley and beyond...

Friday, January 26, 2007

Remembering Laurel Fullmer

Since I'm still on the RS email list (yes, I can't quite bring myself to unsubscribe), I saw the notice about Laurel Fullmer's recent passing. It's such sobering news. What a wonderful woman! The Berkeley ward won't be the same without Laurel and without so many others of the older women that are now passing on or are leaving the ward due to illness--women who gave the ward such character and vitality. Women who grounded the ward in depth and history making it more than just another young student-family ward. And women with such interesting, remarkable, and admirable personal histories. I think that it is just amazing to to think of how so many of the older women in the ward like Laurel, Mary Wallman, Mary Commendant, Miriam Osmond, Donna Helwig, Charlotte Schulyer, etc.. reached out to us younger women and our families with genuine interest and love. I think that I'm not alone to say that I felt that I felt I had real friendships and relationships with these women. I admire them not only because of the remarkable women that they are, but also for how they easily could have kept to themselves and murmured about how the ward was full of such young families that wanted to fill RS and Enrichment lessons with topics only about motherhood and marriage. They could have been so bitter about the character of the ward and its fluidity. Instead, they treated us like we were their peers. I'm so grateful for this experience and this example.

As for Laurel, to me she was a person that really had sparkle (as cliche as it sounds). Some of us have a countenance that's on the dull side, but Laurel had something in that smile that not everyone is gifted with. And who doesn't love the crochet ball she gave out when you had a baby in the Berkeley ward? I remember after Max was born selfishly hoping that she wouldn't forget to give one to me....of course, she didn't, and we still have it for baby #3 to play with now. I also remember how she made Gospel Doctrine class interesting. I admire her for how, before her health prevented it, she could be counted on to support whatever activities the ward put on. In fact, the first time I ever met Laurel was while Adam and I were living in the Hilltop ward but we went to the Berkeley ward's chili cook off with some friends of ours who lived in the ward at the time. The activity was not only a chili cook off, but some kind of dance night too--like learning country line dancing or something like that. Now, I can think of plenty of women over 65 who would have stayed home on a ward activity night that involved some kind of line dancing event. But the only people I can remember that went out of their way to introduce themselves to Adam and I that night were Angela Wade and that group of older ladies. I still remember Adam commenting on how great it was to talk with such cool older women.


We loved you Laurel. It won't be the same without you. Thank you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennette said...

I meant to include Margaret Berlin in that list too!

7:12 PM

 
Blogger M-L said...

The passing away of Laurel made me think about all our friends from the Berkeley ward who died...
I agree with you Jennette, Laurel was such a happy lady. And yes the crochet ball is still played with in our home too. I remember with fondness visits with Miriam Osmond when she still lived in the Bay Area. Her life had been so hard yet her attitude was so beautiful. Chatting in the library with Margaret Willams on Sundays had quickly become one of my favorite excuses to not go to class...
The passing away of Bonnie Bobet came as such a shock because I really thought she was going to make it... someday I will write about visiting with her in the hospital days before her death.
I remember Tom Schuyler with great admiration because he was really dedicated, ready to serve, and so kind. And then saying goodbye to Cornell Jarman when he greeted us with "I am so glad you are coming now because I am still here..."
All these special moments and memories came to my mind as I was reflecting Laurel's passing away.
Berkeley and its people go on living in us, we can't escape that.

9:09 PM

 
Blogger Jennette said...

Thank you Marie-Laure for expanding the list of wonderful people whose lives enriched ours while in Berkeley. Such sweet, sweet memories.

10:34 AM

 
Blogger Seamore Tomato said...

It's nice to have people who understand who Laurel was and what these older women mean to me. I've tried telling the new women how great Laurel was(or how great any of them were) and because they never knew her, they just don't understand.
I'll never forget the day that Laurel told me not to bring her bland food for dinner and to bring Thai green curry(I think I offered her chicken soup instead).
I'll miss her as I will all of the people in Berkeley ward who've let me grow and be a person, not just a young "student wife."
Thanks to you for understanding!

9:58 AM

 
Blogger Darlene said...

I didn't know that Laurel died! Had she been sick for long? I also remember her fondly, and have always been amazed at the open arms we felt in Berkeley. I still keep in touch with a few of them (Mary Wallmann writes to me when she sees my name in print). Berkeley ward really changed my life.

9:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home