The life, times and memories of Berkeley and beyond...

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

For the Beauty of Berkeley

Hi Ladies,

I don't have time to make my post nearly as descriptive or poetic as the rest of yours but thought I'd share this great Berkeley Ward story with you nonetheless.

Last week in church the choir was singing that beautiful arrangement of For the Beauty of the Earth by John Retter (?). A woman from the back of the chapel started doing an interpretive dance up one aisle, across the front of the chapel, and down the other aisle. It was SO awesome! I was sitting next to Mindi Ritzman and the two of us couldn't stop laughing (silently of course). All the new members of our ward (we had 18 new families move in this summer) kept looking around with shocked looks on their faces, as if they were wondering if it was planned or something. Bishop Bob was barely holding in his laughter and had the biggest smile on his face. The sad part of the story is that the woman is the sister of one of the members (Cybelle D'Ambrosio) and she has some mental issues. Cybelle ran up, hugged her, and helped her out of the chapel. Everyone seemed to enjoy the performance, no one was offended. A visitor commented on how impressed they were with how the situation was handled by the whole congregation.

My only regret is that I didn't join her, in all my 9 months pregnant glory . . .

I love this town!

I hope you all are well.

Karen

2 Comments:

Blogger M-L said...

Ladies wearing pants in church, bearded bishops, great gospel discussions and dancing in the chapel... only in Berkeley. Let the list go on! I love it!

8:25 PM

 
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I think that Karen hits right at the heart of what I miss most at Berkeley: the fact that no one over the age of three is ever going to get up and dance in my sacrament meeting. That's why we have to come over here. Yesterday the chorister's daughter got up with her for the rest hymn and conducted with one arm while she hugged mommy with the other. Of course we also miss the finer food and culture available in the Bay Area. If they paid us to come to Berkeley the way they pay us to come to Berlin, we'd be there!

3:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home